Thursday, September 24, 2009

Quick Cucumber Pickle


Adding vinegar to cucumbers morphs them into almost a pickle. Not quite, but close. To do real pickling, it takes a bit more time and effort and well, I had neither of that when I made these. But they taste way fresher than any crappy store-bought, sitting-in-a-jar forever pickle. Really, just add any sort of vinegar you so desire and maybe a herb or spice or two. Little salt and pepper and you got yourself a lovely little side dish. I used ume plum vinegar, which gives it an almost sweet, but pungent bite.

All you have to do is thinly slice the cucumbers (I used two), width wise, and throw into a bowl. Add about 2T vinegar, a tablespoon or two of chopped herbs (I had dried dill on hand) and some salt and pepper to your liking. You can choose to drain some of the juice that is released when you add salt to cucumbers, but I didn't bother. I like using that as an almost vinegar when sauteing vegetables. It's similar to a vegetable stock, but without all the hassle. (Okay, it's not really, it's more comparable to salty water with a hint of vinegar, but it still makes veggies taste better!)  Waste not, I say. But that's a different post entirely...

Use these quick cucumber pickles as an accompaniment for falafels, sandwiches or anytime you want a crisp, salty refreshing bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment