Monday, November 16, 2009

baked eggs with basil and herbed cheese



I had never baked an egg before. I just always ended up scrambling eggs or frying them. I figured baking required just too much effort. And really, eggs taste great when they're cooked these simple ways. However, I got these great little oven-proof ramekins for my birthday and thought it was about time I tried this technique out. I kept hearing all these great things about baking eggs, from how there's endless variations, it's super easy and it just looks elegant and damn adorable. Plus super tasty.

Here's what you need: 
four ramekins or a muffin tin would work too
four or more organic eggs (depends on how many you wanna make)
olive oil or any kind of oil really, for oiling the ramekins
any fresh herb ( I had basil) or dried herb (paprika would be great!)
bread crumbs
some good cheese ( i had a herbed goat milk cheese from Gouda)
sprinkle of salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil the ramekins. Break an egg into each one and top with breadcrumbs. You could conversely put the breadcrumbs on the bottom and then break an egg on top. Top with cheese and then the herbs. And a good sprinklin of salt and pepper. Bake for about 11 minutes or until the egg looks set. I like it a little runny and oozy. Let the ramekins cool for a bit and then eat directly from them. They turned out great. It's like a little meal full of protein, a bit of bread and some nice touch of herb. Quick, simple and they looked really damn adorable. My roommate and I ate them with little spoons and we felt kinda fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment