Monday, August 24, 2009

Don't call me a kitchen maid servant

De Keukenmeid is an outdated and slightly offensive old dutch saying that literally translates to "the kitchen maid servant." The famous Johannes Vermeer painting of the young woman pouring milk into a bowl is the most famous example of a kitchen maid servant. She is also sometimes referred to as "de melkmeisje," which translates to the milk girl. I have chosen to name my blog this as a sort of tongue-in-cheek aside, because of it's antiquated and sexist slant. I'm a certified chef, not a kitchen maid servant in any way. Yet, I don't mind being called de keukenmeid because it elicits images of a simpler time when people didn't eat take out or fast food for every meal. We ate food that was simple, in season and local. We grew our own vegetables, we milked our own cows, and yes-butchered them. I'm not saying I'm going to start butchering cows anytime soon, but I am going to document my cooking adventures. I try my best to eat seasonally and when I can afford it-organic. I like vegan sweet treats and I know that umeboshi paste is the best cure for a hangover . I grow basil on my fire escape.
I regularly cook for other people-but don't call me a kitchen maid servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment