Saturday, August 29, 2009

my love for mayonnaise and root vegetables

I seriously love mayonnaise. I believe that most food items can be improved by adding even the tiniest bit of mayonnaise. It's because I'm Dutch. Mayonnaise flows through our veins. The Dutch especially love slathering their patats (fries) in frietsaus (sauce for fries). I like a mixture of mayonnaise and peanut sauce. Heel lekker (super tasty)!
I know they're a lot of haters out there. People and their dislike for creamy things. I don't get it. The creamier the better. The more fat, the better. Well, today I took a root vegetable known as celery root and basically coated it in a sauce called a remoulade, which is french for a mayonnaise based condiment. Celery root is not the prettiest vegetable. In fact, it's pretty gnarly. It's bulbous with many roots, pale in color but quite mild in taste. I forgot to take a picture of the celery root before I chopped off all its knotty bits. But I do have a couple photos of the sliced up celery root and a jar of Trader Joe's mayonnaise (seriously, it's really good for store-bought mayonnaise!)
Ingredients:
One celery root, thinly sliced
6 T mayonnaise
2 T dijon mustard
2T yogurt (preferably full fat)
juice of half a lemon
splash of rice vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
This recipe also is barely a recipe. I just used a sharp knife to remove all the dirty roots and then cut the bulb in half and proceeded to cut into sorta thin slices, about a 1/4 in width and 3 inch in length. So they basically look like rustic cut french fries. I then just put them in a bowl and added the rest of the ingredients. It's best to let them marinate for a little bit. At least a half hour to really absorb all that mayonnaise goodness.
Yield: 4 servings

2 comments:

  1. Hej! A swedish visitor surfing by, who you met the other night : ) This blog should be interesting to follow, I could use some inspiration in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mayo too. Try Delouis fils, which you can get at Staubitz. It's tres magnifique! And btw, have you seen Julie & Julia?

    ReplyDelete